Sunday, November 5, 2017

Jigged Bone

I like to try different materials, so I purchased some jigged bone scales and have made a couple of knives using them. At one time this material was used extensively on folding knives and it gives this knife an "old time" look, which I like. I don't want to grind the surface down, losing the jigging, so fitting the pin and thong tube requires more work. Their length need to match the thickness of the scales and blade and those short pieces of brass get hot really quick when they are ground. The process for fitting them is - Put them in place, too long!, grind a tiny bit off, play "hot potato" with piece of brass, let cool, and repeat process until it is right. I also eliminate one of the pins because I want the jigging emphasized.

Here's one of the finished knives. The size of the scales, as received, limit their use to the Small Drop Point Hunter (pictured below) and the Caping/Bird and Trout knife.



If you would like to purchase one of these knives or commission a custom knife, I can be reached at baumgartknives@gmail.com



Dewey Vicknair's Restoration Blog

I've been following Dewey Vicknair's blog for a while and am amazed by his ability whether he is performing a full blown restoration or creating replacement parts which appear simple to a layman but in reality are extremely complex. http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment